Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Conqueror of the bats

I saw Jen's bats last week, and then spent the entire weekend fighting with my computer and Silhouette SD. Silhouette has a cool print and cut feature, but our computer is an older Mac (not one of new Intel based ones) so the Silhouette software won't work for me--but I can use their Illustrator plugin. I am a newbie at Illustrator, but thought I could do it.  First, I drew the bat in Illustrator, then took the image into Photoshop and used it as a clipping mask to fill the bats in with digi paper. I couldn't figure out how to move the clipped image back to Illustrator, so I ended up saving them as .png. And after opening all the .png's in Illustrator I placed them inside each bat outline.

And then I thought I would be in business.

Only I wasn't. Try after try and it didn't work. I changed and tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. So I shut down the program and walked away.

 And today when I sat down look what happened!

It worked!
 There's probably a much easier way to do this, and one day I might figure it out --but right now I'm just happy that I actually got it to work!
Here it is, the finally finished project! After I sat it on the shelf I announced that it was a lot more work than I thought it would be, and I wasn't sure it was even worth it. But guess what?

I came out the conqueror!


What projects have you conquered?

No comments: